Saturday, March 18, 2006

Beyond the Inevitable



Our small drawing room was filled with people. It was almost spilling over. In all these years, I had not seen so many people ever in this room, not even on our marriage...

Maaji's constant wailing prevailed over the hushed voices. Only a few spoke regarding the arrangements that were to be made. The air was thick with the smoke from the incense sticks.

I sat in the corner, my head covered. I wondered where the children were...I saw them huddled in a corner together. Juhi sobbed inconsolably, her eyes were red, she loved her father, I knew she loved him more than me. Adnan sat very close to her, he looked afraid and scared, but I was sure he didnot have the vaguest idea of what was going on. He was still very young.

I felt...I didnot really know what I felt. Beside me were my in-laws, they had a very concerned look on their face. They were worried I guess because I wasn't crying, they wondered if I was in a state of shock...I wondered too. I mean, I wouldn't really need to see a shrink? Would I? They were all waiting, some staring at me, some in a more subtle way...waiting for me to emote in some way...

He had been sick, but not sick enough to die. His death was very sudden. I wasn't prepared for it, but...well, it's not easy being married to someone you do not love, it's not easy living with a man who is mentally unstable, it's not easy wanting to walk out everyday and knowing you cannot because you are financially dependent.

Its definitely not easy living your life like a compromise...maybe, that's why I was not being able to react..but then, I had been married for 17 years now, he was the father of my children. I felt something inside, I couldnot figure out what...would I too need psychiatric help?

Maaji came forward, she was grief-stricken. He had been her only son. She took my hand in hers, the last time she had done that was when I had first come here, an 18-year-old bride- crying for all that I had left behind...all the people, all the relationships...

I couldnot understand the apologetic look on Maaji's face. I wondered why...it was part of the ritual they said. She was going to break the glass bangles I was wearing. Mechanically I held out my hand. As the two bangles splintered into pieces, I felt one dominant emotion...
Freedom.

It was then that my eyes welled up.

29 Comments:

Blogger : M : said...

beautiful.

7:40 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

hey buddy ... gr8 creativity! ... amazing stuff! :)

8:13 AM  
Blogger ghetufool said...

hey, good one.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Roshomon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Roshomon said...

thanks for the encouragement people!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing.. esp ur style of writing and then ur choice of subjects.. u've got a fan in Me..
linking u on my blog.. i hope u wont mind.. :-)

12:22 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

time for an update....

Hope u r having a gr8 weekend!!! :)

6:03 AM  
Blogger acidrocks said...

long time..... no new posts..?

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice..and touching.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

jus wana say that i havent read something so touching eva... i m short of words...

God Bless U.

Kamran

11:27 AM  
Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hey....I was reading this and I thought it was a real incident...I didnt know how to reacat, was so touched by what had hapened. Towards the end when I saw the other comments I realised it was not real n it was a story...Its so well crafted....Loosing a husband is like loosing yourself..I have seen my cousin go through this last year and I am still gloomy about it...It's a very rude shock and a very rude world with absolutely no blanket over you....Your story is immensly sensitive..Sorry if I have said too much! :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

Hey buddy ... is everything allrite???

4:22 AM  
Blogger A Humble Soul said...

came across your blog can't say how....but loved it...
love the way you write....
infact I can relate to what you think, but never really came close to writing as well....
you have a gift...
do keep writing!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

WOW!

Let me just leave it at that..

..Me

4:37 AM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

That was amzing...
I almost felt like was there watching, rather than just reading the words off a page.

Will you be back??

12:59 PM  
Blogger Chaitanya said...

Oh my god... if this is fiction... You're really good

10:57 PM  
Blogger Mridu said...

I thought I was the only one not updating my blog!!! I'm not alone after all!!! Post woman!!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Mridu said...

I thought I was the only one not updating my blog!!! I'm not alone after all!!! Post woman!!!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People...I can't log in to my blog anymore..so no posts..will try to create a new one soon.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful site! I'll be back as soon as possible!


louis vuitton replica purses

advance cash loan loan paycheck payday

cash denver loan payday quick

bad credit loan personal quick

no fax payday advance loan

cash advance and payroll loan

advance cash fast online payday

direct lender loan payday

emergency loan military payday

home loan calculation

credit credit free from report score

Bye!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journaling Strategies Contemplate for a moment how you felt the instant you laid eyes on your very first love. Is that how you feel about this person today? What do you think about this person, if you even think about them at all anymore? Remembering back to that moment, are you able to articulate your faith experience from that time? How would you describe your faith now? Where our thoughts, feelings and faith fit into our journaling process are as crucial as every other element, if not more so. Recognizing them as the main ingredients of the whole of life is about as simple, and as complicated, as as it gets. If you are able to clarify your thoughts, feelings and faith around an earlier or present experience through journaling them, you have the capacity to transform your life.

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Forgot the trail, but loved the destination and ended up reading your entire blog. Linked you to my blog, so I don't go tracing the crumbs. Happy writing.

7:23 AM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

Still waiting....
:)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

if i'd not seen the other comments, i'd have consoled you & gave you *hugs* for your newfound freedom.

okay, i'll save the hugs. really great work!

4:37 AM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

You're still not back???

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there fellow bloggers! May I interest you with free blogger templates?! Just click the link!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Five Wise Men said...

hi,
powerful and stylish... i stumbled upon your blog through orkut. we apparently have two common friends, meenakshi and purnima. im glad that I did... loved the post. going through the rest now.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home