Thursday, January 12, 2006

God Almighty



At least 76 killed in Haj stampede...as the news flashed on the comp screen I felt breathless for a moment...it happened every year and it never mattered to me. But this year with my aunt and cousins there... as the news trickled with number of bodies increasing every half-hour my hands just went cold...called home, they didn't have a clue till I called-up and they checked the breaking news. I could feel tears prick my eyes as the flashes came in and we cut to live pictures.

All I wanted was to call-up someone in Mina and find out if my aunt was fine...

There are some people you respect, you are in awe of but when Big B just touched my shoulder and said, "Don't worry nothing will happen...your aunt will be fine...we'll get some news from the MEA soon." God it meant so much, at that moment I felt nothing.

But a little later after I got a call from home, telling me that everything was fine...and then when I thought about it, it mattered so much...just that little gesture. More than being one of the most distinguished journalists in India, whats so lovable about him is his nature...is the thoughtfulness to message back a person he doesn't even know and is among the innumerable people who badger him everyday for a job. You can be talented, you can be famous but its real strength of character that sets you apart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mridu said...

Yes, that's true - strength of character is indeed what sets people apart and makes you feel like respecting them.
Glad to hear your aunt is fine:)
These times get real scary na?
Come on, smile now:)
We're all here for you.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Roshomon said...

mridu n divs: thanks

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home